Today, smartphones have become an indispensable extension of our daily activities, so security and privacy are also increasingly paramount. One such area of concern is the built-in camera on our mobile devices, whether it’s on your Android or iPhone device. That’s why people are looking for ways to block camera.
Although having a high-quality camera in your pocket brings undeniable convenience, there are situations where you would like to block the camera or disable the built-in camera temporarily. For instance, you may want to prevent unauthorized access, protect your privacy, or have peace of mind. Indeed, understanding how to block or disable the camera on your Android or iPhone device is a valuable skill. In this article, you’ll learn the various settings and methods you can use to block or disable the camera on your device.
Should I disable camera on Phones?
The camera is undoubtedly one of the most essential functions of a smartphone to many users. The camera lets someone take photos of special moments without carrying heavy equipment. However, there are moments you may wish to turn off the camera, maybe for your convenience, privacy, or even for security purposes. The question of whether you should disable the camera on your smartphone depends on your personal needs, concerns, and preferences. Some of the factors you may consider when making this decision include but not limited to;
- Privacy. If privacy is your concern, you may want to ensure that nobody can unintentionally activate your camera. Disabling it when not using it can bring you peace of mind.
- Security. There are instances when malicious apps or software may try to access your camera without your permission or knowledge. When you disable the camera, you help prevent such apps and software from unauthorized access.
- Preventing accidental usage. If you launch the camera app accidentally or even take photos when you don’t intend to, you may consider disabling the camera to avoid such issues.
- Battery Conservation. Disabling the camera, which means rare camera usage, can marginally increase your device’s battery life.
- Specific Situations. There are instances you may want to prevent camera usage, such as, in a sensitive meeting or a confidential discussion, using apps that don’t require access to your camera.
How to disable or block camera on Android?
Kindly follow the simple instructions below to disable the camera on your Android device.
- Go to your device’s “Settings.”
- Scroll down and find “Apps or Apps & notifications.”
- Look for the “Camera” app in the list of apps and tap on it.
- Select “Permissions or App permission.”
- Press “Disable” by toggling the button next to the Camera permission. This will prevent the Camera app from accessing the camera hardware.
System Camera App:
- Go to your device’s “Settings.”
- Scroll down and tap on “Apps” or “Apps & notifications.”
- Find your default camera app (often called “Camera”).
- If available, tap “Disable” or “Turn off.”
How to disable the camera on iPhone?
It is now simpler to take a picture with your iPhone since all you need is to swipe left on your device lock screen and the Camera app is readily available for use. But, you may want to make it a bit difficult to trigger your camera, especially when it takes too many photos while still on your pocket lining. To disable the camera on your iPhone, kindly follow these simple steps. Note that it is relatively easier and quicker to disable the iPhone camera using Screen Time.
Before you can proceed to disable the camera, you’ll need to activate your Screen Time.
- Launch the Settings on your device’s main screen and select the “Screen Time” option.
- Tap “Turn on Screen Time” and tap “Continue.”
- Tap “This is My iPhone” when activating Screen Time on your device; otherwise, tap ” This is My Child device”.
- Go to the bottom of the display and tap “Share Across Devices”. This will activate the screen time on all the Apple devices you control.
Once you’re done activating your Screen Time, you can now proceed to deactivate your camera. Kindly follow these instructions.
- Open “Settings” then “Screen Time.”
- Once you tweak your device camera settings, proceed and select. “Content & Privacy Restrictions.”
- Click on “Allowed Apps.”
- Go to the “Camera” option and toggle off the feature.
Guided Access/ Restricting App Usage.
To restrict a specific app, say, for instance your camera, from accessing your device, you can use Guided Access:
- Scroll to “Settings.”
- Scroll down > tap on “Accessibility.”
- Tap on “Guided Access” It appears under the “Learning” section and Turn on Guided Access.
- Now you can launch the app you wanted to restrict, such as the Camera app.
- Triple-tap on the Home button to launch Guided Access.
- Proceed to set time limits and finally disable certain sections of the screen.
How to restrict access to camera iPhone?
Follow the first time the app uses instructions.
When an app wants to access the camera for the first time, the app will ask you to grant it access permission and a pop-up request as the picture shows up.
- If you grant the app permission for the first time, this permission lasts forever otherwise tap “Don’t Allow.”
- The app will be asking for permission to access the camera.
Method 1: Find and manage the app’s permission
This option allows you to manage a single app permission through the Settings app.
- Go to “Settings” and scroll down to the list of apps.
- Find out the app to manage.
- Tap an app you want to restrict, and a display of the permissions it wants will appear.
You can now proceed to enable or disable the camera permissions for that specific app.
Method 2: Go to Settings and manage the app’s privacy permission
This option allows you to manage the apps that can access your camera easily.
- Go to “Settings“> “Privacy” > “Camera.”
- When you tap on “Camera,” you can know which apps are accessing it.
- You can now proceed to allow or block apps that are accessing your camera.
That’s it! Once that’s done, no unauthorized app can access your iPhone camera.
How to enable the remote camera on FlashGet Parental Control?
The live monitoring feature on FlashGet Parental Control includes a feature known as Remote Camera. This feature allows you to
- Track your child’s device and environment in real-time.
- Capture the type of content your kid is viewing.
- Listen to the background sounds of your kid’s environment.
However, you may wish to disable the remote camera feature for reasons. Here is a simple guide on how to go about it.
To enable the remote camera on FlashGet Parental Control needs you to turn on the relevant permission. Then follow the steps below.
- On the Live Monitoring dashboard, tap “Screen Mirroring” > “Continue.” From this point, you can view your child’s phone screen.
- Go to “Remote Camera” and tap “Continue.” You can now see the current environment where your child is.
- Tap “←” to go back to the dashboard.
On your iPhone, go to "Settings."
Scroll down and tap "Wallpaper."
Pick a new wallpaper from the options provided i.e. Dynamic, Stills, or your Photos. You can do the same for the home screen and lock screen.
On your lock screen, swipe right to access widgets (the Today View).
Scroll down and tap "Edit." This will customize which widgets appear here.
You can add, reorder and remove widgets to display the type of information you want.
On your iPhone > "Settings."
Scroll down and tap "Notifications."
Choose the app for which you want to customize your notifications.
From here, you can now control the type of notifications and their appearances.